Sunday, April 13, 2008

Its All-Right, Its All-Right


They move in the most mysterious ways!

Driving on the right side of the road doesn't feel too wrong. Having the bulk of the car to my right when I am driving definitely doesn't feel right. But turning left is alright, and turning right feels pretty right.

You might have to think about that for a little while. I know I will.

The hardest thing about driving around in LA (and no, I haven't attempted any LA freeways in my friend's car) has been figuring out where to look. You definitely can't look into the eyes of any other driver on the road - its like looking into the eyes of a pit bull. You can't afford to gaze too long at the palm trees either, because you might just miss your turn to slip through the stop inersection. You can't even just concentrate on looking straight out your windscreen because in this city chances are that the person who is more likely to run into you is coming from behind. But don't spend too long looking back there, or you might just become that person.

Driving here has been easy and tough at the same time. Its not so much that my driving skills are the wrong way around, its just that my observation instincts are geared to the opposite side of the road. So whether I am crossing the road as a pedestrian, or negotiating a 4-way stop sign intersection in the car, it takes me a full second to figure out exactly where to look. Cruising aong, I have to learn to be aware that I am sitting on the left side of the car, and that the bulk of the car is actually sitting just past my right shoulder.

That being said, test riding motorcycles has been just fine. When you are riding you are concentrating 100% on making sure that you have your own personal space. I think that's why I feel safer on a bike - I am in control of my own space and don't need to worry about someone else's space that I might be considered responsible for.

Still no luck on buying a motorcycle. I'm thinking of flying to New York and trying there.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you try Craigslist yet? I found my car in one day.

Hamish said...

Alane!! :-D
Hope you are well.

Craigslist is fantastic, but I am looking for something pretty specific which there isn't much of in America. That being said, most of my hits (and misses) are coming from Craigslist and the CycleTrader magazine. Looking at a bike tomorrow over in Jersey City, hopefully it goes well.

Thanks for reading, I'm pretty flattered!