Friday, April 18, 2008

I am. Are you?

I am.

The shortest possible sentence in the English language, yet probably the most powerful.

Also a surprisingly significant sentence and concept in many aspects of life.

For example, I found out today that the State of New York doesn't believe who I am. In fact, the United States government will not believe that I am who I say I am in many contexts.

Why is this significant? If I can't prove who I am, then I can't legally own a motorcycle in this country. A frustrating revelation given that I went to bed with such cold feet, worried about the risk that I was taking if I was to buy this bike that I test-rode yesterday, but woke up with a strong resolve - I would buy this bike or regret my decision not to. Anticipating regret makes difficult decisions slightly easier.

Having difficult decisions made for you is also easy. So now I will plan myself a train or bus tour of this grand country, despite the fact that this grand country will not believe in me.

I will make this work. I know who I am. I know that I am.

I am.

2 comments:

geoff & jennie said...

Ham..we know who you are..you are HAM, you AM and you do not like green eggs and HAM

Conditionally said...

What? Dont you have a Passport? Doesnt it say on your Passport that you are Hamy? What else do they want. Should I write them a letter? Everybody knows who you are. But since the North Americans are being difficult, couldnt you get the bike on somebody else's name?