Tuesday, April 22, 2008

And home, home's anywhere you are too...

End of week two and a tiny bit of people-sickness is kicking in. That is not to say that I am sick of the people here - on the contrary, I love the people that I am spending my time with here.

What I do mean is that I am missing all the people who aren't here. I don't miss Australia just yet (although I do automatically sit up and pay attention when I hear an Australian accent in the crowd), but I do miss my friends and my family. Especially with the sudden, forced changes of plans. It would be nice to have a more familiar face here to boost my confidence, to bounce ideas off of, to laugh with.

That being said, my New York family have been wonderful. Murray and Francine have provided endless amounts of encouragement and support, whilst still giving me complete freedom. Not only have they given me full run of their beautiful home in the middle of upper Manhattan, but they have also dispensed tips, happily included (or not included) me in any of their plans, and have fed me the most spectacular meals.

Perhaps I shouldn't publish this post, lest everyone comes to New York to abuse their hospitality. Oops!

I could make New York home quite happily, if I could have my family and friends here too. I do wonder though - is my comfort here a result of the fact that I do have family here?

I thought I had already learned to appreciate the importance of family. Maybe this is a lesson that repeats itself over and over. I shall keep you all informed.

No comments: