Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Genuine all-rounder

"What a start for the young racer Hamish on this cloudy Edinburgh evening! He's been looking strong all season so far, this fresh face to the world of pedestrian racing shows great promise for the future"
"That he does Barry, that he does. Look at his form, weaving a path straight from the start line... I look at him and I think to myself 'There's a man with a mission, there's a man with a mission'"
"I think you could be right there Mick, he's the type of racer that has nothing but the finish line in mind right from the word 'Go!' That being said, conditions are a little tricky this evening..."
"That they are Barry, that they are. Its a cold one tonight in Edinburgh, road surface is a little slippery, yet young Hamish has still opted for the slicks"
"Yes, I'm not sure if that is a move showing youthful recklessness or is it mere naivety...?"
"Well Barry, you know as well as anyone how hard the adjustment can be for a Southerner..."
"Mick, if you're referring to my horrendous first season of snow racing, I suggest you change the-"
"Jeez, look at that bold overtaking manouvre! He's really striding out now, no concerns for the icy conditions! He's got a fine weave on him this boy, a fine weave"
"Let's just watch that back again... The rear foot sliding through on those smooth slicks underfoot as he deftly cuts across with a big leading left. That's bold with a capital B, Mick"
"Bold is right, Barry, but what's this... What's this?! Could it be-?"
"Snow!"
"Oh and its really coming down, Barry, pouring down. Cats and dogs me ol' mum'd say, cats and dogs. I wonder if this is going to force this young racer to have a change of race plan?"
"Ooooh! Well, with the way he's sliding about now heading down this slight rise in the track, I think he might need to review his game strategy. He's still showing some resilience in his face, but Mick if you check the clock, his pace has definitely been affected"
"Understandably so, its really coming down Barry-"
"Yes Mick, you said that, we get it, its snowing"
"Oh! Oh! Big slide! Oh he was lucky to retain his balance on that one, skill had nothing to do with it."
"You're right Mick, this is just recklessness. I know he is inexperienced in the snow, but he is not showing anywhere near enough regard for the conditions out there today. And still persisting with those slicks, surely its time for a change?!"
"Well Barry he's nearing the pits he is, we'll see soon enough if this kid has more brains than balls..."
"I certainly hope he does, for his safety's sake, Mick. This could turn ugly."
"There we go Barry, sure enough, the youngster's pulled himself into the pits for a quick restock of supplies for the rest of the evening."
"Straight into the kitchen for some food supplies for his dinner over at the finish line. Oh and some of his girlfriend's clean washing too. But let's see if he removes the slick leather shoes in favour of something with a little more grip..."
"The shoes are off, but what is that he is reaching for...? I don't believe my eyes... Are those-?"
"Dunlops?! But nobody races on Dunlops! I thought they weren't even available outside Australia?!"
"That is definitely a pair of imported Dunlops, black Dunlop Volleys to be precise. Well this is an unprecedented move from the inexperienced young antipodean, Barry."
"Surely they aren't made from the right materials for this type of race-conditions, Mick. I don't want to pre-empt disaster for this promising racer, but I can't see anyone pulling off a brazen move like this one."
"I don't know about that Barry, I don't know, this boy isn't any fool. You know I hear that Dunlops are quite versatile - shoe of choice for even roof tilers back in Australia."
"You're not trying to tell me that you think this is a smart choice are you, Mick?"
"All I'm saying is that I'm not saying anything just yet, Barry. Not saying anything at all. I'm going to wait this one out and see what happens."
"Well you won't be waiting for long. He's on his way out of the pit lane, down the stairs and back out into the weather to rejoin the race. Let's see how his Dunlops fair in this proper Northern weather."
"I can hear the pessimism in your voice, Barry. But his first few steps are looking ok so far. Look at that, even better than ok... He's upping the pace, Barry, getting quicker and quicker."
"Impossible! I... I-! In my 30 years in pedestrian racing I have never-!"
"Well seeing is believing Barry, seeing is believing. Look at that kid go! I believe I am going to have to go out and find a pair of Dunlop Volleys for myself, I am. Amazing stuff. Amazing shoe!"
"Quite extraordinary indeed Mick. Who would have thought..."

No comments: